Car accident injuries can be catastrophic and life-changing. A personal injury attorney can help you secure the financial recovery you need to pay for medical bills, property damage and other losses.
An experienced New York car accident lawyer has the training and experience to get you the compensation you deserve. Read on to learn more about what a collision attorney does for you.
What does Collision Attorney Near Me Do?
A car accident can be incredibly disruptive to your life. You have to focus on your health and recovery, try to get back to work, pay for expenses, and cover any damages that you’ve suffered in the crash. It’s also stressful dealing with insurance companies, investigators, and appraisers.
An attorney’s primary job is to take care of all the necessary steps in a car accident case. This includes gathering evidence, taking photographs of the scene, getting witness statements, determining fault and liability, coordinating medical treatment/diagnosis/prognosis, and negotiating with insurance providers.
It’s important to remember that insurance providers are for-profit entities. They’re in business to make money and they will do everything they can to avoid paying a claim or, at the very least, limit what is paid out to a victim.
Reasons To Hire a Collision Attorney Near Me
A qualified car accident attorney can often help you obtain every cent of compensation available to you. This is especially important if the initial settlement doesn’t fully cover your losses.
In some cases, an insurance company might attempt to devalue your injuries or minimize the amount you receive. They may also try to shift blame onto you. This is particularly dangerous for head-on collisions, side-impact crashes, and rollover accidents, as these types of crashes can lead to catastrophic injuries like traumatic brain injury, paraplegia, spinal cord damage, or hip fractures.
Hiring an attorney as soon as possible can make all the difference in your ability to recover full compensation for your injuries and damages. For one thing, evidence starts to disappear as time passes. Witnesses forget details and vehicles are moved, making it difficult to build a case without accurate information.
1. Completely Examining Your Accident
There are a number of different things to think about and do after a car accident, and it can be overwhelming. It is crucial that you don’t make any mistakes that could hurt your chances of receiving compensation for your injuries and property damage.
For instance, it is against the law to leave the scene of an accident that causes damage to property or injury to a person. Also, it is important that you resist the urge to apologize or take blame for the crash. Doing so could be used as an admission of fault by the other party or insurance companies and reduce your payout.
A lawyer can help you navigate the local laws and process for determining fault in a car accident case. They can also ensure that your claim includes all of the necessary documentation.
2. Recording Past and Future Financial Losses
Car accidents can leave you facing a mountain of medical bills, loss of income, property damage and other expenses. This is a heavy burden to carry, especially when the fault was caused by someone else’s careless or distracted driving.
An NYC accident lawyer can help you determine the value of your economic damages and find ways to make up for future financial losses. However, it’s much more difficult to pin down the monetary value of non-economic damages such as pain and suffering.
Remember, insurance companies are looking out for their own bottom line and will do whatever they can to deny or undervalue your claim. Do not talk to the insurance company without first consulting a qualified and experienced car accident attorney. Your attorney will work on your behalf to receive the maximum compensation possible.
5. Ready to File a Petition Even If a Settlement Is Reached
You’re sitting at a red light when someone bumps you. You are a little shaken up but your car only has minor damage.
You can file a claim for medical expenses, including pain and suffering and property damage. However, it’s important to get a medical evaluation. Some injuries, such as brain trauma, may have delayed symptoms that won’t show up until hours or even days after the accident.
An attorney can help you determine who is liable for the accident. They can also help you figure out how much to seek for damages. They can also prepare the settlement document that you sign in order to receive the money. It is important that the release is clear and accurately outlines your rights. You’ll typically have to sign the release in front of a notary.
6. No Upfront Attorneys’ Fees
Imagine sitting at a stoplight when all of a sudden there’s a deafening crash from behind. Your head snaps back and forth like a whip, and you are left with painful injuries that include whiplash.
You don’t have to worry about paying high hourly fees or coming up with a retainer for a car accident lawyer to take on your case. Most lawyers take these cases on a contingency basis.
They will work to ensure that you get the highest lawsuit settlement payout amount for your damages. This is because they will only get paid if they win your case. Therefore, they are motivated to complete the process as quickly as possible without sacrificing quality work. This way, you can recover your damages in the shortest amount of time.
What to do after a car accident?
A car accident can be a very traumatic event. During this time, it is essential to remain calm and not volunteer any information that could be used against you later on. It is also important to put your hazard lights on and try to move your vehicle away from traffic, if possible.
If you can, take photos of the crash scene and property damage. Then, get the other driver’s name, address, driver’s license number, and insurance information. If there are witnesses, get their contact information as well. Witness testimony can be a powerful piece of evidence when filing a claim. Also, make sure to keep records of all your expenses related to the accident. This will help you get maximum compensation from your claim.
Questions You Can Ask a Car Collision Attorney Near You
Car accident injuries often leave victims with expensive medical bills. These expenses, combined with lost income from time away from work, can financially cripple a family. A qualified car accident lawyer can help estimate a victim’s total losses and seek fair compensation for their suffering.
A knowledgeable attorney can determine your eligibility to receive compensation for all of your economic and noneconomic damages by examining your medical records and asking you questions about the accident itself. They can also consult with expert witnesses, like vocational rehabilitation specialists and life care planners, to paint a complete picture of the full value of your damages.
Ask a witness about what they saw directly at the accident scene and if their view was obstructed in any way. This can be a key piece of evidence that supports your claim.
How Our Car Collision Attorney Will Help You?
A car collision attorney can provide valuable assistance in various ways if you’ve been involved in a car accident. Here are some of the ways a car collision attorney can help you:
- Legal advice and guidance: A car collision attorney will assess the specific details of your case and provide you with expert legal advice tailored to your situation. They will explain your rights and options, helping you make informed decisions throughout the legal process.
- Investigation: Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident. They will gather evidence such as police reports, witness statements, photographs, and any available video footage. This investigation aims to establish liability and build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiations with insurance companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and overwhelming. An experienced car collision attorney will handle all communication and negotiations with the insurance companies involved. They will work to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries, property damage, medical bills, and other losses.
- Determining liability: In some cases, it may not be immediately clear who is at fault for the accident. Your attorney will carefully analyze the evidence and work with accident reconstruction experts, if necessary, to determine liability. Establishing fault is crucial for pursuing a successful claim or lawsuit.
- Gathering medical evidence: If you sustained injuries in the car collision, your attorney will help gather medical records, bills, and reports from healthcare providers. This documentation is essential for assessing the extent of your injuries and calculating the appropriate compensation you deserve.
- Legal representation in court: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, your attorney will be prepared to take your case to court. They will provide skilled representation, presenting your case to a judge and jury and advocating for your rights and interests.
- Settlement negotiation and documentation: If a settlement offer is made, your attorney will review it to ensure it adequately compensates you for your losses. They will negotiate on your behalf to seek a fair settlement. Once a satisfactory agreement is reached, they will handle all the necessary paperwork and documentation to finalize the settlement.
- Advocacy for maximum compensation: Your attorney will fight for your best interests and work to maximize the compensation you receive. They will assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future rehabilitation needs, to ensure you are properly compensated for your losses.
Overall, a car collision attorney will provide you with comprehensive legal representation, guiding you through the complex legal process, protecting your rights, and working to secure the compensation you deserve after a car accident.